On my first day at Chartiers Valley I literally wanted to cry. I had never experienced a feeling like this in my entire life I felt insecure, unloved, forgotten, unimportant, lost, and completely embarrassed. The whole experience was awkward. The building is a circle not the normal two story rectangular building I was used to. Not one familiar face in the hallway, not one familiar voice saying don't fall, but that's just the humor of being at Fort Cherry Jr./Sr. High School. Located in McDonald, Pa Fort Cherry High School is not such a big school, but for their lack of size they make up for it in a big way. Being at such a small school was terrific, everyone knew each other, the teachers 90% of the time had an extremely warm and welcoming smile on their face when you walked in the room.
FCHS was one of the most rewarding places I've ever had the liberty of being. All the classrooms have a specific calling, every single one was different. Whether it was Mr. Hallowich's [history] big mouth or Mrs. Knight's [English] blogs, something was always going on. I felt worthy of intelligence while in both classrooms. The teachers there are irreplaceable. The school had a technology boom too! Even though it was a little tedious at times was incredibly useful. CVHS hasn't really dabbed into that yet. I felt as if I was preparing myself for the future. Being at such a close- knit school I gained friendships, friendships that I hope will remain as strong as they ever were.
All throughout the school there were a significant amount of places you "wander" to. The library, one of the few places I never wanted to leave. Ms. Perkins was the greatest she really bonded with all of the students and was loved by all. The nurse's office (I've paid my dues...once or twice, ok more than a dozen times) Mrs. Cowden was a genuine individual, who I adored even when I was in an above tolerable amount of pain and or discomfort. The classroom, one of the most important place behind the walls of FCHS, where wit beyond measure was a (wo)man's greatest and most desired treasure. Every single teacher brought something (joyous or repulsive) to the table (classroom). Though we had a slight bit of advantage thanks to the technology boom.
The hallways, the halls were pretty hazardous partially, no fully because of my two left feet. As for the pep rallies, let's just say CVHS is completely lacking in school spirit. It's only my first week and already I miss the Ranger crazed high school. But what can you do?
The classes at FCHS have a little bit more diversity as well. I actually had trouble picking my electives this time around because Yearbook is only offered to juniors , and concert choir I don't think I want to go down that road at CVHS ( unsatisfactory memos about the class). As for the "major" classes I am taking IBS Honors English, a bit more demanding than Advanced I am told, Chem Lab, IBS Honors World History (supposed to be taken in 11th grade), Spanish 3 (same deal), and Algebra 2. As for my horrifying choice for electives I chose Driver's Ed, a required course at FCHS, and Journalism, which has led me to write this article.
I can honestly say that FCHS has more of a variety when it comes to choosing electives and a lot of the electives at CVHS are AGAIN REQUIRED at FCHS and I have made a very stalwart consensus that this arrangement is particularly appalling and I eminently think that this will affect me in the near future. Where as students attending FCHS won't be as affected. So put your hands together for the members of FCHS's school board. Making up with it's diversity of academics, FCHS is lacking on what is known here as the FLEX program. This program is worth one credit, so it's just like a class, only it's spread out a 1/4 credit each high school year. The program was developed so that high school students can devave elop skills and the necessary requirements for their chosen field of work. I have concluded that this is a great program expect I now have 30 hours of community service due the end of January. But luckily for me I am moving.
The Mercedes Review in FCHS is a completely honest, unbiased review I am giving the school two thumbs way, way up. Congradulations you have altered my first judgement of FCHS, for better I promise not for worse. A complete group of 5 stars. FCHS is one of the most unique schools I have attended, and the only school I thought I had potential in. Thanks go out to everybody there for making the experience worthwhile. Of all the schools I have attended, I recommend Fort Cherry because big things come in small packages.
*Read the full article in October 2008's The Ant ( There's a paragraph and a few pictures more)
Remember Hugs Not Drugs,
Mercedes
=)
FCHS was one of the most rewarding places I've ever had the liberty of being. All the classrooms have a specific calling, every single one was different. Whether it was Mr. Hallowich's [history] big mouth or Mrs. Knight's [English] blogs, something was always going on. I felt worthy of intelligence while in both classrooms. The teachers there are irreplaceable. The school had a technology boom too! Even though it was a little tedious at times was incredibly useful. CVHS hasn't really dabbed into that yet. I felt as if I was preparing myself for the future. Being at such a close- knit school I gained friendships, friendships that I hope will remain as strong as they ever were.
All throughout the school there were a significant amount of places you "wander" to. The library, one of the few places I never wanted to leave. Ms. Perkins was the greatest she really bonded with all of the students and was loved by all. The nurse's office (I've paid my dues...once or twice, ok more than a dozen times) Mrs. Cowden was a genuine individual, who I adored even when I was in an above tolerable amount of pain and or discomfort. The classroom, one of the most important place behind the walls of FCHS, where wit beyond measure was a (wo)man's greatest and most desired treasure. Every single teacher brought something (joyous or repulsive) to the table (classroom). Though we had a slight bit of advantage thanks to the technology boom.
The hallways, the halls were pretty hazardous partially, no fully because of my two left feet. As for the pep rallies, let's just say CVHS is completely lacking in school spirit. It's only my first week and already I miss the Ranger crazed high school. But what can you do?
The classes at FCHS have a little bit more diversity as well. I actually had trouble picking my electives this time around because Yearbook is only offered to juniors , and concert choir I don't think I want to go down that road at CVHS ( unsatisfactory memos about the class). As for the "major" classes I am taking IBS Honors English, a bit more demanding than Advanced I am told, Chem Lab, IBS Honors World History (supposed to be taken in 11th grade), Spanish 3 (same deal), and Algebra 2. As for my horrifying choice for electives I chose Driver's Ed, a required course at FCHS, and Journalism, which has led me to write this article.
I can honestly say that FCHS has more of a variety when it comes to choosing electives and a lot of the electives at CVHS are AGAIN REQUIRED at FCHS and I have made a very stalwart consensus that this arrangement is particularly appalling and I eminently think that this will affect me in the near future. Where as students attending FCHS won't be as affected. So put your hands together for the members of FCHS's school board. Making up with it's diversity of academics, FCHS is lacking on what is known here as the FLEX program. This program is worth one credit, so it's just like a class, only it's spread out a 1/4 credit each high school year. The program was developed so that high school students can devave elop skills and the necessary requirements for their chosen field of work. I have concluded that this is a great program expect I now have 30 hours of community service due the end of January. But luckily for me I am moving.
The Mercedes Review in FCHS is a completely honest, unbiased review I am giving the school two thumbs way, way up. Congradulations you have altered my first judgement of FCHS, for better I promise not for worse. A complete group of 5 stars. FCHS is one of the most unique schools I have attended, and the only school I thought I had potential in. Thanks go out to everybody there for making the experience worthwhile. Of all the schools I have attended, I recommend Fort Cherry because big things come in small packages.
*Read the full article in October 2008's The Ant ( There's a paragraph and a few pictures more)
Remember Hugs Not Drugs,
Mercedes
=)


3 obiter dictums/ comments:
FCHS MISSES YOU! =[
I'm glad you enjoyed attending Fort Cherry and I'm glad that your time spent in the halls and classrooms and on the high school grounds as a whole wasn't wasted time.
Try to make the best of things at CV.
Good luck during your school year!
Im glad you think that it's a good school. We Miss you sooooooo much! Just remember ur a legend :)
Good luck
We MISS YOU!!!!
We are all glad you think highly of FCHS and of the people there.
THANX FOR GIVING US A GREAT REVIEW!
Post a Comment